Monash University CC News

2nd XI v Bayswater

By Stephen Pearson

Day One

Fresh from a nice long trip to Mildura the Monash Gryphons rolled into Bayswater with two new recruits, Jarrod Battenelly and Ben Bliss back with ‘ashes’ again. The ground was a picture of green, and the pitch not much different. After winning the toss and thinking about it, I decided against my better judgement to bowl.

I started with 2 line and length seam bowlers in the Scott and Scruff connection, both bowled a tight line, it’s just that Jeff took a liking to balls wide outside off-stump. It was Scruff that eventually broke through, with a great running back catch from Farhat to dismiss the other opener for a blob. Some further loosing of the shoulders from Jeff saw the score racing along. Eventually though he was out caught and bowled by Scotty B, who had managed to tie down one end. Scruff’s 1st spell ended with figures of 7 overs one for 12. Straight after I had taken Scruff off, SJ picked up another for himself, finding the edge of the number 3, left hand bat, safely into the gloves of Piyush.

Vivian replaced Scruff to little effect, a little wayward to start with, saw him only bowl 3 overs. Bayswater then started to put together a hard fought partnership between father and son, 34 runs between the Jackson, started to see them out of early trouble. They faced some quality fast bowling from Kunaal, and well controlled swing from Blissy. It was Blissy that eventually undone father, with a great catch from Vivian at mid-off.

It was another left hander that came in next, and I turned back to Scruff to remove the troublesome creature. It almost worked first ball when Gaurav grassed a hard diving catch in covers. The 5th wicket saw Bayswater to 87 before Scruff eventually did what was required and removed the left-hander. Left with one over before tea, I turned to off spin (myself) at the advise of my keeper, and VC. It worked funnily enough, as I trapped the new batman in front for one, and Bayswater went to tea at 6 for 88.

After Tea, (and I must say it was a great effort from Bayswater, very well done, and good reminder to my boys what afternoon tea is about, and non bloody BBQ shapes in site) I decided I would not disgrace the bowling crease any more as I brought back Kunaal to rap up the tail. Scruffy and Parbhoo did the job, as the last four wickets fell for just 13, with Ian providing the resistance in the tail. A great turn around by my lads, bringing Bayswater back from 4-87 to 101 all out, made my decision to bowl first a good selection.

We had managed to bowl 50 overs already in the day, and around 4pm, it meant we were in to face about 30 overs, with a minimum of 25, and 15 in the last hour. It was to be myself and Battenelly to open, resuming the on going partnership from Willowfest. And just like in the sweltering heat, Jarrod’s shined as I plodded, he smacked the first ball last ball of the first over for 4 through mid wicket, and continued to set the scoreboard a light as we arced to none for 17 from 7. Jarrod quick scoring brought him undone in the end, as he skied a ball that resulting in Ian taking a sitter at Mid-Off.

Scruff came out at 3 and block out and over and a half until he was trapped in frount, and Bayswater were back in the game at 2/18 and Pearson still not off the mark. It took me until the 14th over to get of the mark, and thanked Piyush greatly for his efforts in running that single for me.

Piyush and I continued on, and fought hard until the end of the day, putting away the bad balls, and keeping the good one out. I had a chance at 2nd slip, and Piyush was giving a life shortly before the close play, dropped at Mid-Off. Hopefully need week Piyush and myself can continue the 46 run partnership, and pass the 101 required to win.

Day Two

Thanks to the great work of Bayswater club in laying a cover on Saturday Night we were able to get a start on the second day, luckily as those 40 extra runs were not going to make themselves. Unfortunately the pitch was damp underneath, and required some time to dry. We started play about an hour and a half late, losing 8 overs from the days play.

It was Piyush and myself who opened up on the second day, and we sat apart punching the loose deliveries that the Bayswater opening bowlers dished up, myself hitting two nicely placed on drives for four. The first bowling change came and the leg spinner was brought back into the attack. Piyush again presented him with a chance, this time a return catch, and still Piyush remained. Just when the total was in site, and at 2 for 99, Piyush was dismissed popping a catch up to short mid on. Enter Viv, after spending over 40 overs with the pads on, unfortunately he received a ripper first nut. It pitched outside leg; cut left, and took the top of the off stump.

This brought together my brother-in-law, and myself, and while he was still yet to get off the mark, I slog swept the leggie for the winning runs. A good first innings performance, and perhaps we should have ended here. Scott was stumped to the leggie not long after. Blissy cracked two nice shots, but while attempting the 3rd held out at long on to the leggie as well. Kelvin was next in, and looked his normal solid self, and the only below 4 to hit a boundary, before he dragged on a ball when he was on 6. I was next victim of the leggie, sucked in by a quicker ball, and with all due respect; it was the quickest thing I had faced all day. Farhad and Kunaal put on another valuable 12 runs, before we were all out, 131. Oh I new I forgot something, the reason we were one short, bloody Gaurav calls me during the week, and says “I flying to India, tonight, bye bye Steve”, enough said on this as little children may read it.

We took the new pill, and were searching for some quick wickets on a dodgy deck. Unfortunately it was not to be, and was hard work, we eventually broke through with Scruff taking two Jones’s in two balls, then a couple overs later bowling a guy shouldering arms, which apparently made it onto video tape. When Scruff strained his groin our attack lacked bite. Battenally got his first wicket for the match with a catch to silly mid off, myself got a wicket bowling off-spin, and Scott got the last one caught again at silly mid off.

All in all a good game, and a good 6 points, plenty to work on for the next game, and plenty to work towards, as our spot within the 4 becomes more stable.