Monash University CC News

Gryphons v Powerhouse

By Stephen Pearson

Air India
A dewy Melbourne morning at Fawker Park saw the Monash Gryphons 1st XI win the toss and our captain Nirosh sending us into bat against a confident Power House attack. Opening with the established pair of Sosic and Tennakoon, the Gryphs were in trouble by the third over with a debatable edge being awarded against Jim, who was gone for just three runs. Four overs later keeper-batsman Carmody, who is known for being a nervous starter, followed for naught, with a catch flying towards third slip, and Phil looking towards mid-wicket.

What was to follow was the most important partnership for the boys from Monash, with Sudharsan and Rohan, both looking for a long time at the crease. In the ninth over Ramanujachari (with cap turned backwards) showed his hitting ability flicking a ball for an all run 4, to end a five over scoreless streak. A dominant 19 run partnership followed, and just when the game looked like being removed from Powerhouse’s hands, Sudharsan had a rush of blood, and was caught at point for 16.

Now at 3 for 28 Tyagi came to the wicket to join Tennakoon. Although looking solid Kunal was troubled with a short ball from the left handed first change bowler, and was caught at short leg, reducing the tale of woe to 4/37 from 21 overs.

With 179 overs to play in the match, the Gryphon’s captain strode to the crease, with the look of determination in his eyes. He became the 2nd Gryph for the day to get of the mark with a hook shot. The Sri-Lankan partnership of Tennakoon and Weerasinghe finished, with the end of Rohan’s vigilant innings when he was bowled for 8, after being at the wicket for 136 balls. He was followed one run later by Jim Poussard, who was yorked without scoring.

Joining the skipper was late arrival (to the country) Krishna, the two started solidly together, and saw the Gryphons to the lunch break. Nirosh became the 7th wicket when he was caught at 2nd slip for 5. Replacing the captain at the crease was the vice-captain Daisy Bennett, who ran well between the wickets with the man who had just completed an 18-hour flight, Krishna, who soon nicked a ball to the keeper sinking the score to 8 for 64.

Mizis joined Bennett, lasting 3 overs and skyed a short ball, and was caught for just 2.
Peires was fired LBW for 1, leaving Bennett, who had crafted a glorious 23 not out, stranded at the other end. The Gryphons were all out for 88.

Our early dismissal saw the Gryphons having to bowl 58 overs to complete the days play. Krishna and Nirosh opened the bowling, and after 4 overs Nirosh had PowerHouse 2/5, and during the 8th over reduced them further to 3 down, and still trailing the modest Gryphons total. Krishna retired from his first spell wicketless, and with eight no balls to his name. Sudharsan came on to replace Nirosh and his first over cost 8 runs. Nirosh then returned for his 2nd spell, and picked up his and the team’s forth wicket, gaining the edge of the opposition captain and into the safe gloves of Phil Carmody. As Powerhouse set about passing our total, and building a score to defend on the Sunday the run-rate slowed, and the Gryphons tried up to 8 bowlers for the afternoon.

Opening batsman, and the recent addition to the allrounders list Jim Sosic, broke the 6th wicket partnership, and then took the 7th wicket in the same over. Powerhouse now at 7 for 123 looked in complete control, but with Chris Peires picking up 2 wickets late in the day, one to an amazing catch by the now asleep: Srinivasan, leaving the Powerhouse 9/165 over night.

Shaun Mizis started the bowling on the second day, and after adding only another 10 runs to the score, the last wicket was caught behind from his bowling. This left Powerhouse with a lead of 87 almost double the original score of the Gryphons.

It was again the Gryphs turn with the willow, and looking for a better start than Saturday, Tennakoon, and Sosic stood to the crease again. Rohan was shortly dismissed trying to run the ball to third man. Sosic and Carmody set about restoring pride to the scoreboard, as they went about removing the deficit with great running, and powerful shots. In the first over after drinks the fairytale came to end, when Jim dragged a ball onto his stumps, while to attempting to knock it away, an aggressive innings of 29 coming to an unlucky end. Phil followed shortly after; trying to slog-sweep a slow medium pace bowler and being adjudged LBW.

Sudharsan was the next to go, who was caught with a miracle catch from the opposing captain, where the ball ballooned into the air as the fielder went to save his face, and then came to rest on his chest, still yet to hit the grass. The session ended with a flurry of shots from Kunal and Nirosh, leaving the Gryphs at 4/69 from 26 overs at lunch.

During the lunch break we were kindly interrupted by 5 of Victoria’s finest as the attempting to calm a very anger young man, who had wondered onto our oval in a drug inspired rage.

Kunal became victim of another short ball, this time hitting a sitter to fine-leg, placing the more positive Gryphons batting line-up 5/81.

Joined by his vice captain the always-aggressive Weerasinghe hit 14 runs from the 38th over. Bennett, who was playing quite well again, sacrificed himself, to a sharp catch at point. Jim Poussard was unfortunately run-out for a pair, quickly making the Gryphons 7 for 124.

Krishna and Nirosh shared a 31 run partnership from 6 overs, which eventually came to an end when Krishna received a ball that seemed to keep low, and proceeded to remove his off-stump.

Shaun Mizis tickled one to the keeper, and a miscommunication between Chris and Nirosh resulted in Nirosh’s amazing innings coming to end on 67, with 6 x 4s.

Eventually dismissed for 171, the Gryphs looked more positive, and with the pitch starting to do a few weird tricks, had a chance of victory.

Jim Sosic gained the early break through, but without luck, the Gryphs persisted until a three over spell from Dave Bennett and Krishna, culminating in a freakish catch from Jim Sosic, leaving powerhouse 4/57. This game was unfortunately not to be ours, eventually seeing powerhouse cruise to 90 for lose of only four wickets.

A long couple of days at the office for the Gryphons 1st XI, saw us leave with our heads held high after a noble performance in our first MCA A grade final. Hopefully a sign of many good things to come in future seasons for the boys from Monash.