Monash University CC News

D-Grade Semi Final

By Stephen Pearson

The undefeated Monash University Gryphons 3rd XI played the club’s first home final at Monash University Clayton ground 3, with the pitch a belter and very little grass on the outfield Captain Pearson had no hesitation in batting first when he won the toss.

Matt Sweeney and Jo Parel opened the innings against a lively Carnegie attack. Parel (7) was the first to fall, with a thin edge through to the keeper off the left armed opening bowler. This brought a focused Adrian Mellar to the crease, who was determined to see off the new ball, along with Matt Sweeney. After 11 overs and at total of 45 Matt (16) was trapped in front off a ball that kept low, this brought Dilli to the wicket, who was in an aggressive mood. Looking to get on top of the bowling early, Dilli hit 3 balls in a row to the boundary as he took the score along with Adrian to 86, before he skied one and was caught.

Rohan Tennakoon, a veteran of both clubs was in next, which saw the Carnegie opening bowler return in an attempt to tie down Roey. This saw Adrian open the shoulders, and hit a number of stunning cover drives. Then at 120 Roey (12) mishit one to mid on, and was out caught. Robbo (5) came in next, and hit a lovely cut shot, but was then out done by an off-cutter, and that brought the Ninja Cam Davey to the crease, just as the innings ticked into the last 10 overs. Cam hit 3 massive sixes on his way to 39 from 21 balls. Adrian brought up his 50 then started to hit out, and eventually played-on for 59 from a patient 129 balls. A few more hits from Cam, Nath and Moose, and the innings finished on 8/197 from our 45 overs.

The Moose and Nath opened up the bowling, with the Moose struggling into the wind, he was soon replaced with Swing King Snoop. Nath meanwhile was bowling a treat, picking up the Carnegie opener and then the number 3 with two very quick delivers. Snoop was bowling great areas, and was eventually rewarded with a leg before. But it was the over before drinks, when Snoop took 2 wickets in 3 balls, to bring the Carnegie run chase to a halt.

After the drinks break the Big Bad Moose returned down wind, and built pressure from one end, while Cam tried to get his flight under control from the other end. But as the partnership built, and with the game still very much in the balance, the Gryphons turned to Dilli to provide the spark again, and in his first over he did not fail to deliver with a sharp caught behind by Adrian Mellar seeing the back of the last recognised Carnegie batsmen. Three overs later Dilli flighted one up, and the ball was smashed down to long on, where Jo Parel took a superb outfield catch on the boundary. With 9 wickets down and 3 overs left, the umpires called for the covers. The match was all but conceded, and despite the darking sky, the rain cleared for 15 mintutes, which was time enough to Dilli to clean up the tail, and see the Monash University Gryphons through to the MCA D-Grade Grand Final.

Full Scorecard